The Avengers assembled on-screen this weekend and audiences were there. The film kicked off the summer blockbuster season on a record-breaking note, taking in $200.3 million in its first three days.
The total blew past the previous record holder, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 which took in $169.2 million last year.
“We had been building this for years,” says Avengers executive producer Jon Favreau, who directed the first Iron Man. “It shows what people can expect from franchises if enough thought goes into it ahead of time. This was no mean feat.”
The comedy Think Like a Man was second at the box office with $8 million, followed by The Hunger Games with $5.7 million. That film, once the titan of the cineplex, has made $380.7 million since its release March 23.
The romance The Lucky One took fourth place with $5.5 million, followed by the cartoon The Pirates! Band of Misfits with $5.4 million.
Grade "The Avengers"
- A -- Another winner from Marvel (88% | 165 Votes)
- B -- It was pretty good. (10% | 18 Votes)
- F-- What's all the hype about? I don't see it! (2% | 4 Votes)
- C -- It was OK, but I've seen better (1% | 1 Votes)
- D -- Wish it had been better. (0% | 0 Votes)
Total Votes: 188