The good news is we’ll get a new entry into the Westeros universe from George R.R. Martin this year. The bad news is it won’t be the next installment in the epic fantasy series.
Instead, we’ll get a prequel novella called “The Princess and the Queen.” Published by Tor, the novella will focus on the Targaryen Civil War.
It will be one of 21 stories included in a new anthology, Dangerous Women. The anthology will hit shelves and e-readers later this year.
The collection was also supposed to include another installment from Martin focusing on his Dunk and Egg series, which is set in the Ice and Fire universe. That story was reported to focus on the history of Winterfell. But he says he’s been wanting to tell the story of the Targaryen Civil War for a while now—so it came first.
Here’s the full breakdown of what will be included in Dangerous Women:
- Introduction by Gardner Dozois
- “Some Desperado” by Joe Abercrombie – A Red Country story
- “My Heart is Either Broken” by Megan Abbott
- “Nora’s Song” by Cecelia Holland
- “The Hands That Are Not There” by Melinda Snodgrass
- “Bombshells” by Jim Butcher – A Harry Dresden story
- “Raisa Stepanova” by Carrie Vaughn
- “Wrestling Jesus” by Joe R. Lansdale
- “Neighbors” by Megan Lindholm
- “I Know How to Pick ’Em” by Lawrence Block
- “Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell” by Brandon Sanderson
- “A Queen in Exile” by Sharon Kay Penman
- “The Girl in the Mirror” by Lev Grossman – A Magicians story
- “Second Arabesque, Very Slowly” by Nancy Kress
- “City Lazarus” by Diana Rowland
- “Virgins” by Diana Gabaldon – An Outlander story
- “Hell Hath No Fury” by Sherilynn Kenyon
- “Pronouncing Doom” by S.M. Stirling – An Emberverse story
- “Name the Beast” by Sam Sykes
- “Caretakers” by Pat Cadigan
- “Lies My Mother Told Me” by Caroline Spector – A Wild Cards story
- “The Princess and the Queen” by George R.R. Martin – A Song of Ice and Fire story