Slice of SciFi #246: Voice Mail Show

This is the show where our loyal, adoring, and inquisitive fans and listeners get to hear us comment on their comments abour our stories and comments… it’s the Circle of Entertainment Life!

So go ahead and call in with your questions and comments. Just call 206-339-TREK, that’s 206-339-8735.

We do want to hear your comments and feedback… No, really, we do! Pay no attention to how much Mike grumbles about them — you know, that guy sitting in the dark corner with all of the blinky lights, the knobs and the scotch.

Just remember, any and every time studio gang responds to the questions and comments posed by your voicemail submissions, you run the chance of hearing something about your favorite TV show or movie that you might not have wanted to know yet. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!!

Go Social with Slice of SciFi
Twitter: @sliceofscifi
Forums: http://www.farpointforums.com
Shop: Slice of SciFi Store

Keep Slice of SciFi going and growing. Please donate and help us continue bringing you the best scifi and genre related news and entertainment available on the web and on SiriusXM Satellite Radio. You can be a monthly contributor, or a one-time donation supporter — either way, we thank you.

Comments

1. D. C. says

Definitely one of the best voice mail shows in a long time.

As for Avatar vs. Transformers: Avatar may have had a predictable and cliched plot, but at least it had one.

2. VyseN1 says

I’m going to echo similar sentiments concerning Avatar.

1.) While the plot was certainly predictable, Avatar had a plot and characters you cared about. It was a well told, predictable story. Transformers had NO plot.

2.) The visuals in Avatar look light years better than “Mass Effect” on the Xbox 360. You really must be blind to make that statement.

I put Avatar in the same field as the original Star Wars. Both have amazing visuals (for the time), and well told, predictable, cliched plots.

I’ll agree with Brian on 3-D (hopefully) being a fad though. As beautiful as the visuals in Avatar were, the 3-D would start to hurt my eyes, so I’d need to remove the glasses every 5 or 6 minutes to do an eye rub. In retrospect I wish I’d seen it on a normal screen.

4. Barry says

Good good idea doing the VM show after the regular show. It’s a looser format and lets everyone relax and ramble a little, which is when the show is at it’s best. (And funniest.) Nice job.

Will: I’m of the opinion there are two types of predictable. There’s the bad kind where a lazy writer telegraphs what’s going to happen so badly a scene that’s supposed to be a shock has little to no impact. Then there’s the kind where you find yourself going “ooh, the writer and I are on the same wavelength! Cool!” I vaguely remember Summer saying something to this effect back when she was still on Slice.

6. Jen says

I just wanted to say Thank God! I felt like the only one in the world who thought the Twilight books were the worst possible thing for young girls to read, or anyone for that matter. Glad to know I am not the only one disgusted by their popularity.

I was gonna call in about the caring about the avatar characters also, but I’m sure someone’s gonna say it. I liked the dynamic between Jake and the Soldiers, Sceintists and Na’vi. He had to prove himself to everyone. Oh and when my girl was up in the chopper with the face paint. . . ok, now I’m getting a little sniffly (what’s the word? verclemt?) Compared to If shay labouf dodges a missle you curse the guy who fired it for missing.

8. Michael Mennenga says

Hey… I try to keep positive for the most part, but in the glaring area of crap that streams from Hollywood…. It is a difficult thing to do.

I will double my efforts to be positive. (Hollywood positively sucks…. Better?)

I hope it’s not an age thing. I mean, on the grand scale of the average human lifespan I’m a hop skip and jump away from 30 (no, really. I know my voice implies otherwise, but I actually turn 28 in 11 days). I’d hate to think I’ve only got about 2 years left to actually enjoy movies and TV. ;-)