Slice of SciFi #18: Interview with Jeffrey Willerth

On This Week’s Show: Jeffrey Willerth of Babylon 5 fame. Check out Jeffrey online at Erthbound Entertainment

The News This Week:

• The original Night Stalker makes a digital appearance in the remake
  • A second X-Files movie still in the rumors stage
  • Stealth is a film that will surprise you
  • Dark Horse’s Serenity comic sells out
  • Hannibal Lecter wannabes running around Down Under

Other Topics:

• Primer: was Time Travel too easy?
  • The Island: What Went Wrong
  • Global Frequency is still the chatter of the studio, and perhaps it could open new revenue streams

If you have any suggestions or comments, please let us know. (Our Voicemail Number: 206-339-TREK)

See you in a week with fresh, new content!

Comments

1. podakayne says

howdy, gents (and that’s for the both of you and the male portion of the KAMNinjas)…and babe (4 summer)…just listening on the headset now and would like to say who stuart townsend is…remember (okay you may want to revisit therapy) but mr. townsend played Lestat in Queen of the Damned, and also was dorian grey in THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN.

and hey congratulations to you all

poda!

I remembered that he got his start in Queen of the Damned, but the movie sucked so bad that I forgot about it until after the show.

I did not know that he was Dorian Grey… I own the movie, but never made the connection. Good to know, and thanks for the info. I’ll have to watch League again just so I can take a closer look at his performance.

Heya Guys, good to have the podcast back. While I have been a newish subscriber I was a bit miffed to not get my weekly fix thanks to the website hack. Long may the perpetrators suffer.

I am writing in to point out that Evo’s reference to Tycho Braehe is a little off, Tycho actually lost his nose in a sword fight as he was quite keen on duelling. It was the same ‘expansive’ personality that got him into fights that made him hell on wheels for the more restrained Johan Kepler to deal with.

So yeah, we get it. :)

Philip

Hey, guys…

I was listening/catching up on the SoSF podcasts this morning. Mike, you thought it was The Phantom where he would save a life, bestow a ring, and then–when needed–that person would be “tapped” to come to the aid of a situation ala Global Frequency. You were close…

You’re thinking of The Shadow. Yes, the classic radio serial and comic book…turned into a visually stunning, beautifully scored, but God-Awefully Written film with Alec Balwin in the lead role of the man “Who knows what fear lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows… *muuu-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa*”

But that’s the movie you were thinking of Mike. ;)

In reference to – The Island: What Went Wrong:

what went wrong? what movie were you watching? no wonder the guy near you kept looking, when you gowned at product placement. You got too hung up on what is a part of everyday society (did you see how bad Irobot was?) rather than looking at the movie, as for Johnny rockets add (what ever the hell that is) I didn’t see any overbearing product placement beyond anything you don’t see in anything for the past 20 years. Time to build a bridge and get over it!

As for me the movie was excellent sci fi, great action, great soundtrack, if any complaint is to be made is a general cinematography, when they do lots of chase scenes with hand held cameras, and you get nauseas when watching all the shaking and blurring images on a large screen, but hey Battle star suffers from it, and so does firefly in some bits. But as a movie it TOTALLY ROCKS! Great mix of good story with great action! One to add to my select movie selection when it comes out on DVD.

Perhaps a discussion is in order for the next podcast. Topic: AD placement in movies.. too many or a commecial reality? Sounds like a good topic for me. If we all start voicing our concerns, maybee the stuidos might hear us? Maybee? .. maybee not… but hey we will all feel good for venting… I sense in the force that EVO wants to ;-)

7. Don Poole says

Been listening to Bablyon Podcast for a while which is what got me to this show.

Re: Global Frequency – Not “The Phantom” try “The Shadow”.

In about 1966, there was a pilot starring Peter Graves “Call To Danger”. Government Agency had an large database of Americans and would select average citizens to help based upon their skills, hobbies and interests. The pilot didn’t sell because it was too similar to Mission Impossible but it got Peter Graves the job of MI lead (lede?) the following year.

I remember that the average citizen used in the pilot was selected because he was a stunt car driver who was also a beekeeper and had experience in construction.